The Atacama® and Atacama-C® Cartridge is a part of the Dri•Bank® container storage solution that offers non-fixative and non-cryogenic preservation, storage and maintenance of biological samples anywhere at room temperature that is fast, stable and eco-friendly. The proprietary Atacama® and Atacama-C® Cartridge swiftly desiccate sample(s) for preservation based on the anhydrobiosis concept
Based on the concept of anhydrobiosis, or “life without water”, DriBank Labs has developed the Dri•Bank® container system for preservation, storage and/or shipment of biological samples anywhere. Studies have demonstrated that rapid removal of water from biological samples can prevent degradation of numerous bio-molecules, including RNA while maintaining cellular morphology1,2,3,4
Each Dri•Bank® container comes with an Atacama® cartridge to be installed and replaced when necessary.
The specially designed Atacama-C® cartridge is sold separately. It functions like the standard Atacama®cartridge with the added bonus of also absorbing CO2 and volatile organic compounds (VOCs).
If shipped with dry ice, the Dri•Bank® container in combination with our Atacama-C™ Cartridge will adsorb sublimed CO2gas. This action reduces the formation of carbonic acid, which is known to reduce the pH and denature molecules—an issue that continues to plague customers and researchers alike.
- The Atacama® or Atacama-C® cartridge fit tightly in the top of the Dri•Bank® container. It continuously protects samples stored in the container from moisture.
- Cartridge life varies depending on the type of samples being stored, frequency of opening and closing the container and external environmental conditions.
- To maximize cartridge life keep the container closed when it contains samples and is not in use.
- The cartridge changes color indicating the remaining cartridge life. As shown in the scale below it begins dark blue in color and lightens as the cartridge life is depleted.
The Atacama® and Atacama-C® Specifications:
- Atacama® cartridge operating humidity: 0 to 100%RH
- Atacama-C® cartridge operating humidity: 0 to 100%RH
- Atacama® Cartridge: 6.5cm x 1.3cm
- Atacama-C® Cartridge: 6.5cm x 1.3cm
- Atacama® Cartridge: 50g
- Atacama-C® Cartridge: 50g
1 –Sadler TR, KhodavirdiAC, Hinton DP, et al. Snap-Frozen Brain Tissue Sections Stored With Desiccant at Ambient Laboratory Conditions Without Chemical Fixation are Resistant to Degradation for A Minimum of 6 Months. ApplImmunohistochemMol Morphol. 2009 March; 17(2): 165 -171.
2 –Sadler TR, KhodavirdiAC. High quality RNA extracted from biopsied samples dehydrated and stored dried at room temperature without chemical preservation for up to three months as evidenced by RT-PCR results. ApplImmunohistochemMol Morphol. Accepted April 2014.
3 –Murphy MM, SwartsS, Mueller BM, et al. Protein instability following transport or storage on dry ice. Nature Methods. 2013 March; 10(4): 278 –279
4 –Mazur QI, MarcsisinEJ(S), Bird B, et al. Evaluating Different Fixation Protocols for Spectral Cytopathology, Part 1. Anal Chem. 2012. 84(3):1259 –1266.